Monday, March 19, 2007

The revival of the minolta and the addition of his brother... the rebel


I posted last week about my poor 35 mm Minolta Maxxum that died...
I tried and tried to get it to work, changed batteries, removed the film, put in new film, checked the flash, removed the lens... the flash made an awful buzzing sound and the film wouldn't advance. It wouldn't let me snap anything...

So...

Over the weekend, Andrew talked me into getting a new camera with part of our tax money (the Christmas present I never got-- we didn't give each other gifts in Dec. and decided to wait). So, I got my gift in March... a 35 mm Canon Rebel SLR. Granted, it was a lot cheaper than a digital SLR-- and granted it was my Christmas present-- and granted, it was tax money. But I almost threw up... spending money on myself... I just don't do that. But, once I got over the nausea, I decided I was pretty excited. This camera has a lot more options than my Minolta did and I am already having fun learning how to use it.

Then... I was snapping pictures last night with my new rebel, without a cause, {insert knee slap here} and all of a sudden, the flash started buzzing similarly to what the Minolta had done... first thought I had was that this was not a good thing. But, the camera was still snapping pictures. So, I played with my focus a bit and came into a lighter room, and the flash worked fine.

Anyway, long story short, I had a couple of revelations from the trouble with the Canon, so I started playing around with the Minolta and got it to the point that it would snap without the flash-- but it was still giving me an error message. It wasn't until this morning that it hit me that I should try one more time to put some more film in the Minolta and try one more time without the flash on. When I opened the film compartment, I noticed that the shutter was messed up... oh my goodness! So, I carefully got some tweezers, moved the shutters back into place, and guess what? It seems to be working! For now anyway... I don't want to get my hopes up... but... it would be awesome to have 2 to chose from since they have different lenses, etc. :) Especially if I get more serious about photography... I could totally get into that. And, for now with all my health stuff, it's a good diversion...

So... for now...

So happy together...

0 comments: