Monday, July 9, 2007

what would you do?

OK, so my car has started fine since having it checked out/the oil changed last Tuesday. The only time I had trouble getting it to start was actually at the shop when we were getting ready to leave. As I mentioned before, they said it was the starter and quoted $277 for the starter and $70 for labor. I looked around a bit and found out that a starter at AutoZone is $193; however, that extra $80 the shop has added is because they have to make a profit from the parts. Since the car has been starting fine since, Andrew called and asked them if they were positive it was the starter... they said the technician who said it was is right "about 96% of the time".

This is just one problem in a long line of problems we have had and at this point, I am not at all inclined to believe it will be the last... nor am I inclined to believe that even if it is the starter that it is the only thing wrong. I saw a wet spot under the van after moving it (without the AC running) the other day and I know the timing is not right. It has 110,000 miles on it... so, what if we get the starter fixed and it's really something a whole lot worse? Then we've really messed up... so... what to do?

We need to get Andrew's truck paid off (which we are really close to) before thinking about another car payment. I just don't know what to do... don't you hate feeling clueless and stressed out about transportation? Urg...

So, I ask... what would you do?

a) ride it out and NOT get the starter fixed, hoping that it makes it until we have the truck paid off?

b) have the starter fixed for the amount quoted and still hope that the van makes it until the truck is paid off?

c) other-- please specify. :)

Any words of wisdom are welcome and appreciated! You can email me if you want. :)

Thanks,
Lynn

0 comments: